Youth Leadership Academy
Assumptions and Critical Success Factors
- Recruits will cooperate in a group setting.
- Recruits will participate in the Strategy Workshops for each Challenge.
Progress and Critique
- The week is designed to promote and develop each recruit’s natural leadership skills.
- Each future leader will have the opportunity to lead their team through a challenge while being mentored by a Mahwah Police Officer or Intern.
- Team work, communication, and problem solving skills are the core curriculum.
- All recruits are given constructive criticism throughout the each challenge. The week is designed to improve leadership traits as a “team leader” and teammate.
"What to Bring" List - Overnight Dorm Stay
- Sheets –size: single/long
- Pillow with case
- Sleeping bag/blanket
- 1 roll of toilet paper
- 1 roll of paper towels
- 1 trash bag/ tall kitchen
- Sani-wipes for room.
- Two bath towels
- Flip flops or water shoes
- Soap/Shampoo/Conditioner – Travel size
- 8 pair of socks
- 8 pair of underwear
- Deodorant –Toiletries
- Uniform shirts
- Uniform shorts- Khaki / Black shorts
- Casual clothes for evening hours
- Bathing suit
- Hair dryer
- Clothing for MudRun
- DARK colored T-Shirt
- Extra sneakers (they will get dirty)
- Extra shorts (they will get dirty)
- Suggested Items for the Hike
- Water Container
- Hiking shoes/boots
- Cooling/face towels
- Bug Spray
- Sun Screen
- Long Pants/jeans
- Jewelry – except religious or medical alerts
- Curling irons/flat iron
- Video games
- Play stations portable or similar items
APPROVED to bring:
(Students are responsible for these items)
- Digital camera/camera
- Candy/snacks - NO POPCORN!
- Soda-water-fruit drinks
- Cell phones
- Chargers for electronic items
- Rooms are equipped with a refrigerator and microwave
- All rooms have a private bathroom with shower
- All rooms are air-conditioned
- Wi-Fi will be available in the dorms and the code to access it will be given out on the first night.
» NO MICROWAVE USE ALLOWED IN ROOMS
(A microwave will be available in the lounges with Officer approval)